Balamani Amma: 5 Facts About Malayalam Poet
Google honoured acclaimed Indian poet Balamani Amma on her 113th birth anniversary on Tuesday with a special doodle.
1. Nalapat Balamani Amma was born in the then-Madras Presidency on July 19, 1909.
2. She received numerous awards and honours, including the Padma Bhushan, the Sahitya Akademi Award, and the Saraswati Samman.
3. She is still referred to as the "amma" (mother) and "muthassi" (grandmother) of Malayalam poetry.
4. Balamani Amma's first poem, 'Koppukai,' was published in 1930, when she was only 21 years old.
5. She published over 20 anthologies of poems, as well as translations and other works.
6. Among her most well-known works are Amma (1934), Muthassi (1962), and Mazhuvinte Katha (1966).
7. Kamala Das, her daughter, is a well-known novelist.
8. Das' autobiography, "My Story" was released in 1976
9. Balamani Amma got married to VM Nair
10. She inspired generations of Malayalam poets